Monday, March 30, 2009

The only thing this book will leave you hungry for is the sequel

The first book I read of Suzanne Collins was Gregor the Overlander, of the Underland Chronicles. I absolutely adored them, especially for their unique and interesting plots and characters.

But her newest book is aimed towards a slightly older audience, and I love it even more. We're introduced to a war torn and poverty filled future earth and a young woman named Katniss who supports her small family through illegal poaching. But her hunting and survival skills are truly put to the test when she is entered into the national Hunger Games, in place of her younger sister. There she is forced to endure harsh obstacles along with kids from other districts, including the second from her own district, a boy named Peeta who has always been in love with her.

This book is exciting and action packed, but it also contains a bit of romance. Collins is excellent at building suspense, and when I reached the end of the book I only wanted to keep going. Imagine my heartbreak when I remembered that the book had just been released and I'd need to wait at least a year for the sequel!

Luckily, the sequel is available on Amazon through pre-order and will be released in stores on September 1st. I can't wait! I would recommend this book to anyone asking for a good read.


1 comment:

  1. It sounds really good! I'm going to have to read it myself....

    ReplyDelete